The Smithsonian Institution is looking for a Chief Data Officer (CDO) to lead its data strategy and governance, according to a job posting on USAJobs.gov.
The CDO will report to the Head of Digital Transformation (HDT) and will be responsible for the Smithsonian’s data collection, processing, analysis, mining, information trading, and other means of utilizing information as an asset. The CDO will also advise the HDT, the Chief Information Officer (CIO), and the Smithsonian leadership team on data and data governance issues and participate in senior leadership discussions on data topics.
The CDO will work with leaders across the Smithsonian to coordinate and facilitate organizational data strategies, data governance, and data investments that support the Smithsonian’s mission and digital transformation. The CDO will also collaborate with other cultural institutions, government agencies, related industry, and academia to identify existing and emerging technologies and data solutions that can benefit the Smithsonian.
According to the job posting, the duties of the Chief Data Officer include:
- Leads development of the SI Data Strategy for the Institution to include associated policies, guidelines, best practices, and an implementation approach to enable Smithsonian’s digital transformation, aligned with the Smithsonian’s Strategic Plan, best practices and federal data strategies and requirements where applicable.
- Spearheads Institutional efforts to manage data and data assets at every stage of the data lifecycle by establishing effective procedures, standards, and controls to ensure quality, accuracy, access, and protection of data, as well as managing information resources.
- Serves as a principal advisor to the HDT, Chief Information Officer (CIO), and SI leadership team on data and data governance and participates in senior leadership discussions on data topics.
- Partners with leaders across the Institution to ignite, connect, integrate, and facilitate organizational data strategies, data governance, and data investments across the Institution that accelerate SI needs to use, protect, disseminate, and generate data.
- Facilitates and spearheads external collaborations to accelerate Smithsonian€™s data strategy, including other cultural institutions, government agencies, related industry, and academia.