This position is in Veteran’s Benefits Administration (VBA), Medical Disability Exams (MDE) program office. The Data Chief is directly responsible for management of MDE data analytics and data evaluation and analysis. He or she is responsible for reporting operational data and analyzes performance data to provide the Assistant Director, Executive Director, and Deputy Executive Director for MDEO with situational awareness to optimize operating and business activities.
According to the posting, duties for the Data & Analytics Chief include:
- Provides technical and administrative supervision to subordinate staff members and oversees the daily operation of the unit, ensures agency policies and priorities are being followed; develops performance standards; and evaluates work performance of subordinates.
- Gathers, analyzes, and organizes narrative and statistical information using generally advanced methods, techniques, and precedents requiring considerable adaptation and/or interpretation for application to MDE functions. Reviews and reconciles large amounts of data.
- Applies analytical and evaluative methods and techniques to issues or studies concerning substantive program functions. Interprets findings resulting from studies that are independently developed. Completes analyses of data and identifies significant findings. Analyzes and evaluates on a quantitative or qualitative bases, the effectiveness of operations in meeting established goals and objectives.
- Utilizes statistical and scientific methods to analyze qualitative and quantitative data for the purpose of design optimization, trend modeling, time-series forecasting, and quality assessment.
- Data Mining — Uses expert knowledge of Power BI, MS Excel, Tableau, and other mathematical, statistical, and analytical software to perform advanced data analyses of activities that uncovers needs, opportunities, and operational risks not otherwise apparent. Insights reduce organizational risks and result in improved service to Veterans.
- Statistical Modeling — Builds complex probability models and simulations to forecast claims receipts and predict processing capabilities under a variety of world scenarios. Insights developed impact VBA policy and resource allocation decisions.
- Performance Evaluation and Reporting — Evaluates program performance metrics, whether internally or externally produced, and briefs leadership on the implications of status, trends, and risk insights gained through the expert knowledge like those with Oracle BI, Power BI, Tableau, and Tableau Server are required..