The CDO serves as the leading authority on the CFTC’s enterprise data strategy and data governance approaches. The CDO reports directly to the Chairman and is responsible for all DOD programs to successfully execute the Commission’s data governance and data management responsibilities. The CDO manages the Commission’s data on an agency-wide basis as a utility to support the Commission’s data-driven mission.
The CFTC DOD is comprised of the Data Operations and Standards Branch, which focuses on data engineering, data architecture and development, data requirements collection and analysis, data standards development, data strategy development, and information classification and management.
According to the posting, the CDO’s responsibilities include:
- Managing data at every stage of the data lifecycle by ensuring the Commission has effective procedures, standards, and controls to ensure quality, accuracy, access, and protection of data, as well as managing information resources.
- Coordinating with Commission staff responsible for using, protecting, disseminating, and generating data to ensure that the data needs of the agency are met.
- Serving as chair of the Commission’s Enterprise Data Governance Committee; acting as agency liaison to other agencies regarding data management activities; and communicating and translating complex concepts to all audiences that are internal and external to the agency.
- Providing expert advice and guidance to agency management officials to successfully address issues presented by emerging trends and specific challenges in utilizing data to meet the agency’s strategic goals.
- Ensuring compliance with the Foundations for Evidence-Based Policymaking Act of 2018; the Open Electronic and Necessary Government Data Act; and other federal laws and policies that may impact DOD’s programs.
- Collaborating with the Chairman and the CFTC’s Divisions and Offices to recommend improvements through the exploitation of data and analytics; executing strategies to align business and data analytics to maximize the value of CFTC’s investments; and scoping and developing a modern data architecture/infrastructure that incorporates data management best practices.