The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) is searching for a Chief Data Officer, per a posting on USAJobs.gov. The NTSB’s CDO, reporting directly to the Managing Director, will champion and lead data and analytics value creation and governance as a strategic discipline for the NTSB. The CDO will also seek to build the critical foundations of a data-driven enterprise to support the NTSB’s ability to effectively and efficiently accomplish its mission and strategic goals.
The policies and directives are outlined in the following references: Foundations for Evidence-Based Policymaking Act of 2018 (Evidence Act), OMB Memorandum M-19-18 Federal Data Strategy – A Framework for Consistency, and OMB Circular No. A-130 – Managing Information as a Strategic Resource.
According to the posting, the CDO:
- Leads development and execution of the NTSB Data Strategy along with associated policies, guidelines, best practices and implementation approaches to enable NTSB’s agency-level strategies and federal data strategies as well as requirements codified in Executive Orders and laws, to include the Evidence Act.
- Facilitates and spearheads external collaborations to accelerate NTSB’s data strategy, with other government agencies, industry and academia, including identifying existing and emerging technologies and data solutions that can support NTSB mission needs. Serves as NTSB lead for the Federal CDO Council and coordinates NTSB participation on related CDO Federal Working Groups and CDO Council subcommittees.
- Leads NTSB’s efforts to manage data and data assets by establishing effective procedures, standards, and controls to ensure quality, accuracy, access, and protection of data. Performs data management that includes developing data strategy and data processing analysis.
- As Chair of the NTSB Data Governance Body (DGB), leads and serves as principal advisor to the Managing Director and CIO as the DGB decision authority on data and data governance topics.
- Partners with internal and external customers to develop an evidence-based decision-making plan as part of the NTSB Strategic Plan as well as an evaluation plan as part of NTSB’s annual performance reporting (as required by the Evidence Act).