The Securities and Exchange Commission is searching for a Data Scientist to serve as a Senior Data Officer, according to a job posting on USAJobs.gov. The Senior Data Officer will provide expertise to Division leadership in data strategy and collaboration across the agency.
The position works within the Business Solutions Office (BSO), in the Office of the Managing Executive (OME) for the SEC’s Division of Corporation Finance (CF). The BSO provides technological infrastructure and internal data analysis that supports the Division’s efforts to protect investors and promote capital formation.
If selected, you will serve as a senior advisor and subject matter expert to the BSO Office Chief in the areas of data science, management, and use, and assist OME leadership with directing a broad range of the Division’s platforms, analytic tools, technologies, and data architecture to support the Division’s mission critical activities.
According to the posting, duties for the Data Scientist include:
- Engages OME leadership to develop and maintain the Division’s data strategy and management in alignment with the SEC’s overall goals, including standardization of data format, access, usage and sharing, and publication of data assets of the Division adhering to agency policies and utilizing industry best practices.
- Assists the BSO Office Chief in managing data analytic tools to automate the collection of data from varying sources, formats and quality, and analyzes and interprets to identify trends.
- Identifies, engages, and manages cross-agency stakeholders, helping to manage competing priorities and organizational trade-offs on a variety of complex and interrelated subjects including implementation of the new tools and solutions for data systems, products and solutions in a proactive manner.
- Facilitates novel projects to implement new data management program requirements in the areas of data stewardship, data architecture, metadata, and data technical standards, for complex, sensitive, novel, and evolving data issues.
- Coordinates with the senior data counterparts throughout the agency to develop and maintain new innovative technologies and a comprehensive data inventory that accounts for all data assets created by, collected by, under the control or direction of, or maintained by the Division.
- Develops and prepares guidance on a variety of complex data management issues referred to BSO because of the complexity or sensitivity of the topics involved, precedent setting implications, shortened time for response, deviation from established regulations, or other unusual actions.